Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sophistication Sunday - CoverGirl NatureLuxe Lip Balm Review

My sophistication muse, Audrey Hepburn
Photo Source

Sophistication Sundays will revolve around my favorite beauty finds, techniques, fashion trends and anything else "pretty" that catches my eye. I look forward to sharing these ideas with you and hope to hear your suggestions and feedback as well! I am no expert at beauty or fashion by any means but perhaps that will make my thoughts more relatable. Simply put, I'm just a girly-girl navigating my way through the fabulous finds I come across.

...

As a little girl I remember swiping my older sister's beauty magazines and pouring over the glossy pages. I particularly loved the CoverGirl ads featuring Nikki Taylor and Tyra Banks. I pined to wear their beautiful makeup and be just as fabulous and model-esque as both of them!!!


Photo Source


Anybody else remember these?? :) Seems like yesterday!

Unfortunately, wearing makeup was simply not allowed before I turned 13. I begged and pleaded with my mom and when she let me get clear mascara prior to the age of 13 (which does nothing) it was a BIG DEAL. So when I was finally allowed to wear makeup I just naturally gravitated towards Cover Girl products. It's amazing how much of an impression ads can make on someone, isn't it? :) I continued on this CoverGirl route throughout high school and I also worked well for me because their products were the most reasonably priced. But during college and most recent years I basically stopped using any kind of CoverGirl products. My skin changed along with my taste in makeup and CoverGirl just didn't deliver what I was looking for. That's not to say I didn't keep using drugstore brands, I just pretty much stopped using CoverGirl.

When I saw that T. Swizzle (read: Taylor Swift) was the new CoverGirl and was representing a new CG Line, NatureLuxe, it piqued my interest (again, the power of ads!).


I adore Taylor Swift and I thought I was happy to see they selected her as the new CoverGirl model. To me she is the All-American, girl next door kinda chick.


Now, to get to the point of this post, with all this hype I was anxious to try the NatureLuxe Lip Balm. I referenced this product in my post about coral and was actually in need of a new coral lip gloss since my Neutrogena MoistureShine Lip Sheer ran out.


Based on what I saw from the ads and what the product looked like in person I expected moisturizing, sheer color. Now when I say sheer I'm thinking sheer enough that it doesn't have the heaviness of lipstick but I'm still able to see a wash of color. Based on the array of rich colors I could see through the tubes I thought the product would be pretty similar to the Neutrogena Moisture Sheers.

To be honest I was kind of disappointed with this product :( I expected it to actually give my lips a some color and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between this lip balm and cherry chapstick. I felt like I paid $6 for ordinary chapstick. This is not to say that the color was completely transparent but I could barely tell the difference when I put it on.

The upside? It was definitely more moisturizing than what I usually get out of the Neutrogena MoistureSheers and it felt very soft on my lips. The NatureLuxe line is about giving light, soft coverage and while the Lip Balm did just this I thought it should have some color. Otherwise what is the point of having all those different shades to choose from?

Who knows, maybe it was just the coral shade I chose. Perhaps it works better with a different shade? Have you tried this product? Did you have better luck?

So the final verdict is if I had to do it all over again I probably wouldn't buy it. Live and learn, right? ;)

Have a great week, xoxo.

~Christi


1 comment:

An Oasis in the Desert said...

I haven't tried those & probably won't now. LOL!!! I'm kind of hooked, anyway, on Maybelline Colorsensational. I'm really quite satisfied with how moisturizing they are, & at $5 a tube, I can afford all the different shades I like. I'm definitely into medium to darker colors, but they do have a nice selection of the lighter more neutral shades.
CAS

Like This?- Pin It!

 
Copyright 2009 between3sisters