Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sophistication Sundays - Jergens Natural Glow EXPRESS Review

My sophistication muse, Audrey Hepburn


Sophistication Sundays will revolve around my favorite beauty finds, techniques, fashion trends and anything else "pretty" that catches my eye. I look forward to sharing these ideas with you and hope to hear your suggestions and feedback as well! I am no expert at beauty or fashion by any means but perhaps that will make my thoughts more relatable. Simply put, I'm just a girly-girl navigating my way through the fabulous finds I come across.


It feels like summer has finally reached South Dakota! After all this ridiculous rain (and horrible flooding) we've been getting some genuinely hot days worthy of our local waterpark. I couldn't be more excited :D



Photo Source


Now this is where I make my confession. You see, one of the things I love the most about summer is the sun. I love sunshine. And along with my love of this star comes an unhealthy addiction to tanning. I'm guessing after reading that you're thinking one of two things: either a) Tanning is evil! If you don't quit tanning you're going to get wrinkly, get skin cancer, and DIE! or b) I know, me too. It's horrible to love tanning so much but soaking up the rays feels so great doesn't it? And who doesn't love how fantastic a pair of white summer shorts look with tanned legs?!! ...Whatever your view, I encourage you to keep reading.



Image Source
If only applying old sunless tanner were this easy & relaxing...


The reality is that I didn't even know I could tan until I was 19 years old. I have red hair (albeit, a unique, dark shade of red) and just assumed I couldn't tan. So in high school I became a pro at applying self-tanner. That's not to say there weren't a few mishaps (anyone reading this remember my tan arms and white hands that one time in 8th grade?!) but overall I became a master of the faux glow. Still, I hated the whole process. It took FOREVER to exfoliate and apply properly. And tanner back then looked pretty orange, let me tell you. So when the girls on my floor freshmen year at UST started going to the tanning salon in droves I figured, eh why not try it. Well needless to say I figured out I could actually tan (and quite well, mind you) and said this is SO MUCH EASIER than applying self-tanner!!! I was HOOKED. I loved the feeling of listening to my favorite music while relaxing in the warm tanning bed. And when my time was up I walked out a bronzed goddess! What's not to love? Over the years I kept tanning but also kept reading more and more about skin cancer. My magazines lambasted the practice of tanning but still I didn't see a more affordable, less-time consuming option. No way did I want to go back to the song and dance of exfoliating, applying, and WAITING. And yes these days there are better spray tan options at salons but at $20 a pop for a tan that lasts maybe a week it just isn't affordable! Still, all the warnings about tanning beds persisted. And my mind was making mental notes. All of this culminated in my viewing of the "Dear 16 Year Old Me" PSA... let's just say I lost it at 2:50.




Watching this video really struck a chord in me. I decided I could face the reality of tanning or continue to pretend to be oblivious to its serious and dangerous effects. I do not want to come out of the doctor's office someday knowing I could've prevented this. Worse yet, I don't want to leave my husband and future babies without a wife/mommy because I was too vain to stop tanning...


...



Photo Source


OKAY enough of the serious stuff, right?? This all brings me to the point of today's post: Jergens Natural Glow Express. Ladies when this product was invented the heavens opened up and Jergens delivered a beach vacation tan in a bottle. FO. REELZ. I first heard about it from one of my FAVORITE co-workers who I've heard mention the product a few times. I was hesitant to try it because I had already tried the original Jergens Natural Glow lotion. Needless to say it didn't work for me... at all. I never noticed a difference and was very unhappy with the purchase. What a waste! So I decided to take a gamble and pick up a bottle of the Express lotion (in "medium/tan") over memorial weekend and got to work. Wait, what am I saying? There was no work involved in this. Seriously. And that's one of the best things about it. After you shave your legs and exfoliate in the shower (i.e. just use your regular body wash and loofah) you just get out and towel off. Once you've dried (wait like 5 minutes) just apply it like regular lotion. Yes, like REGULAR LOTION. Because my skin can be a little dry I put a pea sized amount of lotion on my knees, elbows and ankles. Then I just went right over everything with the Jergens Express. I'd say you could wait maybe 5 minutes more before getting dressed and then you're done! It really is that simple. If you're really impatient I wouldn't worry about waiting 5 minutes because my co-worker puts it on like regular lotion and doesn't think twice about it.


I did this for 3 days and by the time Memorial Day came around I couldn't believe how well it worked and how natural it looked! Both my mom and hubby even commented, "Did you go tanning? You look really tan!" At work I had a number of people ask me about what kind of tanner I was using and how easy it was to apply it. People couldn't believe how well it worked and one of them even went and bought a bottle on her lunch hour! :)



Photo Source


So final verdict: I am IN LOVE with this product. It gives me the beautiful tan I long for without the danger of the sun's rays. It's easy to use and dare I say, goof proof. I love how fast it works and how long it lasts. Since I've built up to a nice color I just plan on applying it once every other day or every two days and using regular lotion in between. My only complaint is the size of the bottle. It is 4 oz total. I mean, really? A little goes a long way but I could definitely use more in the bottle. The price comes in around $7.99 and although this seems a bit spendy given the size it's really the most cost-efficient option I've seen for a quality self-tanning product (considering most quality self-tanners cost $30 and up!). Bottom line? I don't feel like using this product is a compromise; it gives me the exact natural color I want and the confidence to rock my shorts sans white gams. Yes, you can have it all - without the skin cancer.


So will you try this? Have you been looking for a good self tanner or trying to break your tanning addiction? That was my goal this summer... if I can do it I KNOW you can too :)



~Christi

2 comments:

Kimmy Schultz said...

Ok, I confess to using the tanning bed too...and cried watching the 'Dear 16 Year Old Me' video. I'm totally going out today to get some good sunscreen and to try out the natural glow express...I have tried the regular one and didn't like it, like you said as well Christi. I figure I will give this one a try too! Thanks for the suggestion!

Greta said...

I too was once a tanning addict -- but I've been sunless for three months and have ahealthy faux-glow now and would never go back. I use the Jergen's foaming moisturizer which lasts 2-3 weeks, applied all over, every day. I think they might be discontinuing it, though. For more dramatic, immediate glow I use B&B Works True Blue Spa "Strike Gold" which I love -- and smells good, too! :)

Like This?- Pin It!

 
Copyright 2009 between3sisters