Friday, August 27, 2010

Back To School

Fall is on it's way and I couldn't be more excited (apparently Beth couldn't be either). As the summer winds down I find myself in a familiar situation: Back to School.

When I graduated from my beloved St. Thomas I wasn't entirely sure where I wanted my career to go. In fact, the only thing I was positive about was that I was moving home to marry my sweetheart. So when my fellow college students preparing for graduation asked me what the next step was in my life I didn't have much to say about job prospects and career goals. Honestly, I wasn't sure! I seriously considered law school (hence the Political Science degree) but in the end there was something inside of me saying this wasn't the career I truly wanted to pursue. While I believe everyone has the capability to go after their dreams and succeed at any job I just didn't think a career in law would allow me the time and devotion necessary to be the type of wife and mother I wanted to be. Maybe for others but no, not for me. That being said, I've had many moments of frustration because in most other areas of my life I'm a "planner." I plan my week. I plan for the month. I fill up my calendar in advance! But when it came to my career I wound up feeling confused and perhaps like there was something wrong with me because I didn't know what to do next. Don't most people have these things planned? Don't they know where they want to end up 10 years from now? What career they want? WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?!! WAHHHH!!!!
Okay, simmer down.

And yet, a small, redeeming seed had been planted during my Junior of college. During my Business Ethnics course I spent some time studying and researching the field of Human Resources; needless to say it piqued my interest. It was too late to change majors. No way could I afford to add another major and stay a year longer. But this field had potential... I had potential. Fast forward two years and I find myself thoroughly delving into a career in Human Resources and loving it. Could I really have figured things out? Could I have been so lucky? And then I found it; a program from USD that would allow me to earn a Master of Science in Administration specializing in Human Resources (the heavens open up and angels start singing). For the first time in my life I feel like I am on the right career path and am 100% devoted to the purpose behind the work.

So here I am, headed back to school... and very excited! I also must admit I tend to get overly excited at the sight of new, shiny school supplies. I may or may not be going to Office Max tonight...

So wish me luck! I'm on a mission. And for the record, I've come to realize it's perfectly ok not to have everything figured out. Take everything one step at a time.



~Christi

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I had no idea you were an HR lady as well. I'm right there with ya, I love it! :-)

Like This?- Pin It!

 
Copyright 2009 between3sisters