Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Losing The Baby Weight Part 5

Here is another post about my journey to lose all the baby weight I gained during pregnancy. (To read the previous posts see 1, 2, 3, & 4) Today I was happy to step on the scale and see that I have lost another 3 pounds. That means I only have 11 more pounds to go to get back to my pre-baby weight size.

Here is a nice before and after shot so you can see my progress. (Look at that belly!) The first one was taken at the end of January and the new one is today. Total weight loss between the pictures is 19 pounds!

I attribute all of my weight loss to the good old fashioned counting calories and exercise. I think the exercise has really helped me drop the pounds faster. I try to lift weights twice a week and workout on the treadmill or elliptical for 30-45 minutes four times a week. I have been getting bored lately with just the same old cardio routine, so I have been switching it up with some workout videos. I thought it would be great to share some of the videos I use frequently.

Many people don't know this, but if you have Netflix they have a ton of videos that you can watch instantly. Here are a few of my favorites:

Crunch: Boot Camp Training
Description:
Military style, rigorous half-hour exercise program from Crunch gym. Designed to tone every muscle in the body and get your heart rate going, the class is separated into eight-minute sections and uses strengthening techniques to work both the upper and lower body.
My Review: I really like this video. It starts you out with easy warm-up steps then proceeds into the "boot camp" style class I like. I am pretty uncoordinated but this video does moves that are easy to do, even if you have two left feet like me. You need weights for this workout to be totally effective though. I use 8-pound weights.




Trainer's Edge: Killer Abs & Back with Michael Olajide
Description
: Targeting abdominal and back muscles as it strengthens the body's core, this exercise program led by Michael Olajide, a former boxing champ, will have you punching, jumping and twisting your way to a new body.
My Review: Don't let this one-eyed guy fool you, this video kicks your butt....uh, er I mean abs and back! This is my fav out of all the videos on Netflix because so many workout videos do like 90% lunges. I hate them and they are so hard on my knees. Michael, who is a really interesting guy look him up on wikipedia, is funny and makes you want to keep going. He kind of hits on the ladies in the video too, which makes me laugh. My husband, who is not a workout video type of guy really likes this video too. You need weights for this video and a broom (for stability). He has a jump rope segment, but I just pretend I have one in hand.

Crunch: Cardio Dance Blast
Description:
Sculpt and tone your bodies with this fun dance routine. It's a booty-shakin' and booty-blastin' regime, which has participants on their feet for an entire hour groovin' to the latest tunes while getting the heart pumping for good health.
My Review: Let me just say (again) that I have two left feet. So why on earth am I doing a dance video? Well, I was bored one day and decided to try it. Thank goodness that no one could see me in my house doing it, it would have been hilarious! This video was super fun, but I know I looked really stupid doing it! The moves were hard at first but I think I am starting to get better at it. I like it because it didn't feel like I was working out at all! Great to get a light cardio routine in and have a little fun. If you have little ones that can walk/run, it might be a good video to do with them.

For those of you who don't have Netflix, here some videos I own that I like:

Jari Love: Get Extremely Ripped Bootcamp
Description:
This is an intense bootcamp-style workout, you can choose between 6 - 10 minute workouts or 2 - 30 minute workouts or one full hour of Ripped! With a series of core, strength and cardio tracks, you will shock your body and blast out of any ruts or plateaus.
My Review: MY FAVORITE VIDEO by FAR!!! This video is so tough, I honestly have to stop and take breaks...which I love! I use this video on days I would normally be lifting weights because just with 8 pound weights you sculpt your whole body. This video leaves me out of breath and sore the next day. To me that means that it is working for me. I usually try to do the whole 60 minute video, but on days I don't have time I can choose which routines I want to do or just opt for one of the 30 minute segment. You need hand weights to do this video.




Jari Love: Get Ripped 1000
Description:
A workout that you burn up to 1,000 calories per session, you'll be shedding pounds and reshaping your body fast. By mixing weight training with cardio, all muscle groups get working and the heart rate high so that you burn maximum calories.
My Review: I bought this video at the same time as the bootcamp one and this one is pretty good too but I just prefer the other one. This has more cardio then the other one. You need a step to get the maximum workout for this routine. I don't have one, so I just do all the exercises with the weights. Do I burn 1000 calories, probably not, but with a step I think you would.




Winsor Pilates Basic 3 DVD Workout Set
Description:
Mari Winsor's 3-DVD set is a set of workouts for beginners and intermediates. Used to increase strength and flexibility while using your "power house".
My Review: I try to do one flexibility workout a week. I prefer the advanced workout dvd in this set because it is 50 minutes long and it really does help your flexibility and strength. Mari focuses on your "power house" which is code for your core/abs. It's very easy to follow and proves to be challenging and beneficial. No weights needed for this video. I am sore the next day after this video, so I guess that means it makes me use muscles that I am not use to using.





Well, that's my list of my workout videos. Do you have a favorite workout video? If so, I would love to hear about it. Feel free to comment below.

~Beth

1 comment:

irishrunner said...

Wow - Congratulations!! What a significant transformation!

Like This?- Pin It!

 
Copyright 2009 between3sisters