Thursday, March 31, 2011

Uncorked #6: Robert Mondavi Pinot Grigio

Welcome to Uncorked! Where I feature a wine that I've tried and let you know my thoughts on it. There is a little disclaimer: I am by far no wine expert --I am just going to tell my thoughts on a wine. Some wine snobs out there might turn their nose up at my opinion and that's fine with me! Wine is meant to be savored and enjoyed! I might throw out some wine terms here and there and if I do, I will make sure that I give you the definition and try to explain them to the best of my abilities. My goal is to share some tasty wine picks with the world and hopefully encourage some of you out there to try a new wine. No bottle shall be discriminated against, price is no matter (with in reason), and this is just going to be all about exploring the world of wine.

This week's wine is:
Robert Mondavi Private Selection 2009 Pinot Grigio

Description: Through tireless wine making innovation, an uncompromising eye for quality and unshakable faith in California's vineyards, Robert Mondavi was a pioneer in producing wines that rival the world's finest. Our Pinot Grigio captures bright citrus, pear and tropical fruit flavors that culminate in a crisp refreshing finish.
Price: $7.99 per bottle
Region: Woodbridge, CA

I've said it before and I am sure you can tell with all the uncorked so far, I am a red girl. However, it can get boring reviewing red wines all the time so I decided to actively seek out a white one for this week. With the onset of spring, I thought a Pinot Grigio would be a good start to kick off the season. Pinot Grigios are an Italian white wine that usually is a nice mid-palate* balance with a short, clean finish. This pale golden wine opens up with a fruity, yet floral bouquet*. Immediately I could taste pear in the wine, but not an overpowering amount. The wine is on the dryer side, but has a fresh and crisp taste.

Would I buy it again? Like I said before, I always have considered myself a red girl, but this white wine might make me change my ways...or at least make me break out of my red shell. I was pleasantly surprised to find a white wine that I am looking forward to drinking again. Because it's an Italian wine, I served it with Spicy Tomato Cream Penne Pasta and some garlic bread. The wine went great with the meal and we ended up finishing the bottle. In fact, my husband even commented on how he wished we had some more...so yes, I will be buying this one again.

Fun Wine Fact: Researchers at the University of California, Davis, have determined that Pinot Grigio has a remarkably similar DNA profile to Pinot Noir (a red wine) and that the colour difference is derived from a genetic mutation that occurred centuries ago.

*Mid-palate- When you take a sip of good wine there is often a sequence of flavor and texture impressions, of which the mid-palate is the impression registered as you hold the wine in your mouth for a moment but before you swallow.
*Bouquet- As a wine's aroma becomes more developed from bottle aging, the aroma is transformed into a bouquet that is hopefully more than just the smell of the grape.

~Beth

1 comment:

An Oasis in the Desert said...

I've heard other good comments about this wine, but haven't tried it yet. Must do that!
CAS

Like This?- Pin It!

 
Copyright 2009 between3sisters