Friday, March 25, 2011

Spicy Tomato Cream Penne Pasta

I was watching Eat, Pray, Love this afternoon and it really inspired me! Not in the way that you would think...really I thought the movie wasn't that great (sorry to you fans out there) but it inspired me to cook some pasta! All the food it in looked so yummy! I am still trying to watch what I am eating, so I created a somewhat healthier pasta dish. 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1-2 tablespoons of red pepper flakes
2 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
3/4 teaspoon white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon butter
10 ounces of whole wheat penne pasta
Parmesan cheese (optional)

1. Fill large pot with water and bring to boil. Add penne pasta and cook according to package directions.
2. In a saucepan, saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until onions are translucent.
3. Add tomatoes, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt and pepper. (Note: Depending on the acidity of the tomatoes you might need to add more sugar.)
4. Bring tomato mixture to a boil and continue to boil 5 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates.
5. Remove from heat; stir in cream and butter.
6. Reduce heat and simmer 5 more minutes.
7. Serve over penne pasta with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

The Skinny: Serves 4 @ 475 calories

1 comment:

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Yum, this sounds really good. I've been substituting whole wheat pastas wherever I can & think I remember seeing some whole wheat penne. We love the whole wheat spaghetti.

Also checked out your tutorial on painting a filing cabinet. It was in the list below your post of "You Might also Like" & is exactly what I needed. So thanks for that, too!
CAS

Like This?- Pin It!

 
Copyright 2009 between3sisters